Patwon ki Haveli : The Beautiful Structure with Architectural Uniqueness
After the Jaisalmer Fort, Patwon ki Haveli is the second most popular attraction spot in Jaisalmer. Being rated as one of the largest havelis in Rajasthan and wonderful piece of architecture, Patwon ki Haveli is a cluster of 5 small havelis. Constructed in 1805 by Guman Chand Patwa, the 5 havelis are constructed with yellow sandstone in a time span of 50 years. The unique blend of Indian and Persian architecture is showcased perfectly in 60 balconies, mirror work, paintings intricate stone carvings, sculpted pillars, etc.
Assorted below are some of the interesting facts of Patwon ki Haveli which mesmerized every visitor:
- It is combination of five havelis built for 5 sons of Guman Patwa. Guman Chand Patwa was brocades and jewellery trader by profession.
- Because of passionate trading characteristics of his business, the havelis is also known as “Mansion of Brocade Merchants”.
- Kothari’s Patwa Haveli is the first haveli, which is one-of-its-kind building in Jaisalmer.
- The arches and gateways of the Haveli are its highlighting features each showcasing unique style of painting and mirror-work.
- One part of the haveli comprises of museum displaying paintings, artefacts, craft and artwork of bygone era. These paintings and craft work are testimony of rich lifestyle led by the Havelis’ residents.
- Spacious 60 balconies providing clear view of the Haveli’s courtyard complex. Along with complex, divisions and windows also allow visitors to feel and breathe fresh air every time they step in there.
- The architecture of this haveli blends with golden feature and resembles with other buildings of Jaisalmer.
- Presently, the government has occupied the haveli and set up office of the ASI (Archeological Survey of India) and craft and art department for tourist purpose.
- Though, the entire building is made from yellow sandstone, the brown color is used for the main gateway of Haveli.
Because Jaisalmer in Rajasthan is quite hot city, thus it is recommended to visit the city in winter months. Walking through long stretches of the Haveli is often a tiring task, thus hats and sunglasses are recommended.
If you are looking for some other traveller tips and willing to book accommodation in advance, call the professionals of Sheesh Mahal Desert Camp. They are competitive enough in making affordable and comfortable arrangements as specified by visitors. Even the company offers customized itineraries as per requests of visitors. So, plan your visit to Patwon ki Haveli and other points of attractions of Jaisalmer, do not forget to contact the leading service provider.